Yesterday I tried to make one of those shadow box frames bigger. Like 19" x 13", the size of my photo paper. Here we hit "dur* again because my Silhouette only cuts 12" wide.
But, darn it, where there's a will, there's a way and I'm just too stubborn to give up (like all those years of making Disney videos of our meets, every year researching how to get them HD on my computer, which, no matter how many times I tried, just didn't have the capability). What I'm planning on doing is trimming down an inch off of a 13" x 19" paper and make it 12" x 19".
Then I'll make the top piece that goes over the box part from two pieces. Hopefully, the splits won't be noticible unless you're looking at it very, very carefully. I'm hoping my photo that it contains is so frikking awesome that one is blown away and doesn't pay attention to how many pieces are on the top part of the frame.
I went through about six tries at cutting the frame pieces. Each time, after cutting, I had an epiphany. This ain't gonna work. First it was the angle of the edges. They were stretched out, too, so they were no longer in proportion and the angles were all wrong. Needed 45° angles. And I fixed that. After cutting a couple of those, I measured. Damn it. The new edges I put on the longer frame piece, the edges with the correct angles, were added onto the tips, not taking into account that they didn't need to be.
So, like I said, I finally got it mid-evening. I can get one long and two short on a piece of 12" x 18' cardstock when I put the pattern at an angle.
I would have worked on this today, but I've been doing other stuff.
Like hanging up laundry on my new solar clothes drier (yeah, a clothes line; I got a clothes line and it works).