backyard cam/weather center

[ Home | All Archives ]

      Monday, January 16, 2017

11:43 AM - 01/16/2017

The topic: Pete is holding his own


He's gotten fightier (you know what I mean) when I give him his meds. So, that's good. His breathing doesn't sound as bad as it had, so that's good.

I can still hear him, though. He sneezed a little last night, the cutest thing in the world.

He has become quite selective in his choice of food.

Just say no to anything fishy. Except maybe human tuna. This is okay with me, because fish really isn't the best choice for kitty cats. (Back when Spot had his surgery, I was lectured on the crappiness of fish for cats.) And no turkey, he kind of eats it, but you can tell it's a chore for him.

We ran out of his favorites, so this morning headed over to Walmart to pick up more for him. Twelve cans of each. Fancy Feast. All classic flavors, all pate (the cats lick the gravy off of the chunk style, grilled, flaked or whatever they happen to call it and leave the rest). We bought him beef, chicken and liverr and chicken. And we got a dozen each of Gerber chicken baby food and beef baby food.

So, Pete's set for a while with food.

He gets to eat on the counter (which he can no longer reach by himself). Without other cats interfering (which is a lot of fun for me; I have to keep watch, but the other cats are finally starting to understand that get down means don't get up there in the first place. When we got back this morning I opened up a can of beef and he was all over it. He ate at least half of the can (he's a small cat, doesn't eat a lot like he used to). I know they say to heat the food up, but it seems like it's easier for him to eat when it's cold. More chunky and he can bite at it. And I fluff it up for him with a fork as he eats, so it's not all mashed down in the bowl.

I wish it would warm up so that he could go outside and sleep in the sun.  He loves the sun.


      Thursday, January 12, 2017

10:28 AM - 01/12/2017

The topic: I took a short video of Pete eating last night



      Wednesday, January 11, 2017

11:57 AM - 01/11/2017

The topic: Rain rain rain rain


It's raining again. It will be raining tomorrow. And it just might rain on Saturday. Good thing I don't need to do laundry.

Anyway, I find this incredibly hard to believe, but Pete's breathing is already a lot better. He's much quieter.

There was some loose poo on the sofa this morning (I cover it in disposable pee pads at night for easy cleanup) . I don't know if that was Mystie or Pete. There was also some loose stool on the floor, once again, not sure who it belongs to.

Anyway, he ate probably a whole can of liver and chicken pate Fancy Feast this morning. Hungry boy. (He does not like it when I wipe his face when he's done, but I want to keep his nose clear.) 

I did see small, well formed poo in the laundry room litterbox that I believe may be his. This would be great!

He's only had 24 hours worth of meds so far, so, I don't know what to think. Unless one of those meds is an absolute killer med. I'm not complaining. At all. If he's more comfortable, that's what counts.

I also slept for about eleven hours from last night until this morning. I had no idea what a toll this was taking on me. Sleep is nice.


      Tuesday, January 10, 2017

03:46 PM - 01/10/2017

The topic: Back from the vet with Pete


Pete hasn't been feeling well for the past month or so. We were so caught up with Bernie that we didn't really pay much attention to Pete.

His breathing got loud. I didn't pay much attention to it because when he was asleep, everything was normal. Well, last week it continued while he slept.

And he's had really runny poop for a while now. I started him on Forti Flora, which has helped and have been making sure he had food besides fish flavored (since fish is a problem for some cats).

Anyway, concerned about his breathing (sometimes he was even mouth breathing this past weekend), I called the vet's office and made an appointment for him.

Since we didn't know if it was something treatable or something that couldn't be fixed, Brian went with me. In case we had to say goodbye.

The vet said it sounded to her like pneumonia. She took him into the back, he had blood drawn and he had a couple of x-rays. And with meds, Pete should get better.

He does have pneumonia, he has pancreatitis and he has an upper respiratory infection. He was also dehydrated, so he got fluids while he was there and if he doesn't seem to be drinking enough, I can supplement the fluids.

He's on doxycycline and enrofloxacin, both antibiotics. One will take care of the respiratory problem, the other should knock out the pancreatitis and pneumonia. And taking care of the pancreatitis most likely will help with the loose stool problem.  When we got home, I gave him his first dose of both. Can we say "drool"?

And he has a strong heart.



All Archives

lisaviolet is sixty something, married with no kids, takes care of lots of cats, likes taking photographs, loves Southern California weather and spends altogether too much time avoiding her responsibilities.

In her spare time, she makes pretty things to sell in her store.

January 2017
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        

website design by

©lisaviolet 1996-2017
Photographic images are the property of the photographer,and may not be copied, printed, or otherwise reproduced on any other site or used in any other publishing medium without the written permission of each individual photographer and kennel/cattery owner. Cathouse privacy policy.