[ Home | All Archives ]
previous | most current | next

      Friday, May 08, 2015


craftstuff
08:01 AM - 05/08/2015
The current weather is It's raining!

The topic: For Mother’s Day

----------------------------------------------

Mother's Day

Okay, there's the vase and flowers, all done. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And it was really fun to make. 

If you want more photos, click below. I'll provide links to the files and tools used, so you have an idea if you ever want to do something like this. And if you buy anything via the links, I make a little money. Not much, but a little.

 

 

The first flowers I made were from Enchanted Sparrow Paperscape Kit from SVGCuts.  I used a marker to color in the stamens and an light ink stamp (I got this set because it had so many different colors and should last me for quite a while - it was $25.00 less when I bought it a month ago!)  for the flower petals. (I work on waxed paper so there's not a lot of mess to clean up.)

Clicking on a picture will take you to a bigger photo in my family album; clicking on that picture will open a larger photo.

 

 

To cup the flower petals, I used my McGill Flower Blossom tool and McGill Blossoms Molding mat. An upside down mouse pad works just as well as the mat. One of my mental problems is when I get something for a certain project, I want to get everything available. I've been doing this for years, so I've got a good base for making this stuff. And it's nice to finally be using it.

The thinner florist wire (for the stems on the smaller flowers and leaves) came on a roll. I used a wire cutter to cut the wire to the right length, then used needle nosed pliers to curl the end. And to straighten the wire, I used nylon jaw pliers. This didn't hurt the finish on the wire. I used Beacon 3-in-1 craft glue to attach the wire to the flowers, then let it dry overnight. Just to make sure it stuck.

I glued wire lengths to the leaves of the flowers.

The flowers and leaves. I cut a couple of lengths of wire, long enough to "flow" over the edge of the urn to the bottom and twisted/braided them together and put the flower and leaf stems through the holes to make them look like a vine.

I used SVGCuts Mom's Garden Gifts SVG Kit for the urn. I used Die Cuts With a View Gilded cardstack for the outside of the urn. Really pretty, ivory with gold flecks through it. I got this at Joann's Craft store.

I needed a place to stick the flowers. I had previously bought some styrofoam balls at Wal-Mart and I was pleased to find out that they actually fit. I ended up cutting the top round part off because I didn't want it showing through the flowers. I also glued it in place, because if I pushed too hard, it went to the bottom of the urn.

Vine over the urn.

Now, the other flowers. I cut out quite a few and didn't use them all. 

Here are the begonias, from the first 3D Flowers SVG Kit.  The edges were colored with an ink pad and I used my McGill tools for the petals. (Mary, from SVGCuts.com, takes you step by step through the assembly process in her tutorials). The inside buttons were made earlier this year when I tried my hand at melting beads. 

The greenery was made using SVGCuts 3D Wintergreens SVG Kit. When I did the cutting, I set up extra "stem" parts to glue on the other side of the stem so the wire wouldn't show. 

Paper for flowers cut and ready for assembly.

The other kits I used for the flowers were 3D Flowers SVG Kit Part II and 3D Mums and Fall Flowers SVG Kit. For the bigger flowers, I used 16 Gauge Floral Wire (I know they weren't really cheap, but at 18" long I was able to trim them down and get two or three flower stems for each one). The 22 gauge I used on the smaller flowers, just wasn't strong enough to hold the larger flowers upright.

And for the card, I used the A2 Sized Envelope and Card Set. On the Silhouette workspace, I had the files grouped together and resized down to about three inches, then did the cutting.

The stamps I used on the card were Stampendous Friendly Phrases (for the little floral in the corner - I painted the ink onto the stamp for the different colors) and the Mother's Day sentiments, inside and out, were from My Sentiments Exactly's Mother's Day stamps. The floral picks were purchased on Amazon. I probably won't use them all, but you never know....

I get most of my stuff online because it's just easier. And probably cheaper, because I get what I'm looking for. In a store, there are too many opportunities to look at stuff I don't need at the moment. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

14110111

 

 



Aw, it’s beautiful, Lisa! Your flowers look incredible and the blue flowers cascading out the side are gorgeous! How special that it will be your mother-in-law’s permanent centerpiece! Thank you for sharing! ~Mary smile

Posted by Mary R. @ Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 8:36:45 AM

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.
All Archives


lisaviolet is sixty something, married with no kids, takes care of lots of cats, likes taking photographs, loves Southern California weather and spends altogether too much time avoiding her responsibilities.

In her spare time, she makes pretty things to sell in her store.

October 2017
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        






website design by





©lisaviolet 1996-2017
Photographic images are the property of the photographer,and may not be copied, printed, or otherwise reproduced on any other site or used in any other publishing medium without the written permission of each individual photographer and kennel/cattery owner. Cathouse privacy policy.