So, in a previous entry I was crowing about having caught up with my paperwork.
And I undid that. Stupidly, carelessly, I screwed up.
See, I run Quickbooks on both my computer and the laptop. The computer is wired to the router. The laptop sends and receives data wirelessly. Well, last month, you may recall I had a problem with the repeater. Even though I'd posted I got it fixed, it wasn't. I had to get a new one.
I keep my QB files on a network hard drive, so I can access them from both the PC and the laptop. But when the repeater was having problems, the connection kept dropping from the laptop and I wasn't able to save them to the network drive. I tried, but that darned connection....
Last month, I set up those new accounts, entered those bank deposits, generated those invoices, did three months of reconciliation on the laptop. Because I have more room out here than in the office. It's nice to spread out. No biggie, right? Since the new repeater is working as it should, the data saved to the network drive. The way it was supposed to.
This past week, I generated invoices and set up new accounts and entered deposits on the PC.
Then I happened to notice that the PC Quickbooks file showed about thirty one thousand more dollars in the bank account than the laptop showed.
I thought about why this would happen. Why was there a difference...then it dawned on me. The files weren't saving to the same location.
Not even thinking this through, I found the file on the PC and copied it. And I pasted it to the network drive so that when I opened QB on the laptop, it would pull up that information.
But it was the wrong information. It was pre-new account set up, pre-bank deposits, pre-invoices, pre-reconciliation. Just like I did with the Eudora mail files last month, I overwrote everything. All the new accounts. All the bank deposits. All the invoices. All the reconciliations.
Once I quit running around, found my head and put it back on my neck, I checked the work directory for the company file on the laptop. And found a backup dated January 3, 2018. I restored that to the laptop and yay! All of the old stuff was there! All I had to do now was set up the accounts that have come in this year (only five) and regenerate the invoices (only eight).
Whew. What a mess. Thank goodness I backed up to a different location. That saved my butt, for sure.
| | Permalink