[ Home | All Archives ]

      Wednesday, June 08, 2016

11:28 AM - 06/08/2016

The topic: I love figuring out something that works


Last year, I shared my vinyl Tinker Bell and Tigger decals that I made. I found digital coloring pages and worked with them so that I could cut vinyl using the patterns. Tigger was easy peasey, all orange. But I wanted a multi-colored Tink. I spent hours trying different processes I'd found online to get the pieces lined up properly, but nothing really worked well. Most of them used registration marks. I tried those and they were a pain in the butt. The registration pieces were bigger than some of the color areas, like the eyes and mouth. I wasted more vinyl than I liked. I ended up not doing anything I saw online, I just kind of muddled through making my own process. My final project, shown in the link above, took hours and hours to do. A lot of problems.

When I cut out the pieces, I cut out extra. And I thought I'd give it another go. And I stumbled upon something that's gonna make this so much easier.

Beacon 3-in-1 glue. Yep, my glue.

Got out my little light box, cut a piece of clear transfer tape with its backing to a little larger than the size of the finished design. I used painter's tape to tape the Tink pattern (the black and white sheet of paper) in the right orientation to the back of the transfer paper. I pulled the clear transfer tape up from the backing, like a flap. I taped the edges of the backing to the light box. I could see the Tink pattern as clear as day. I trimmed excess tape from the vinyl sections (see the fourth photo down in the previous link). I pulled the top of the transfer tape back and put a small amount of Beacon's on the back of a cut vinyl section. (This was a backing to backing situation.) I put that where it belonged on the bottom backing, using the Tink underneath as a guide. Then I put the adhesive flap down on this vinyl piece, did the thing with the scraper to attach the vinyl section to the adhesive. For the smaller pieces, I had to be really careful not to use too much glue. I was able to take the backing off of the vinyl piece without any difficulty. Then I did the next piece. The glue doesn't dry quickly or set on this backing, put it held the paper in place. I was able to slide the vinyl piece with ease and once I had it set where I wanted it, flap down, top down, rubbed the top and the vinyl piece stayed attached to the the transfer tape.

It took me less than ten minutes once I got started.

I'll take video of the process since I was so happy I found something that works. If it helps anyone else, that would be pretty cool.


| | Permalink
All Archives

lisaviolet is sixty something, married with no kids, takes care of lots of cats, likes taking photographs, loves Southern California weather and spends altogether too much time avoiding her responsibilities.

In her spare time, she makes pretty things to sell in her store.

June 2016
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30    

website design by

©lisaviolet 1996-2018
Photographic images are the property of the photographer,and may not be copied, printed, or otherwise reproduced on any other site or used in any other publishing medium without the written permission of each individual photographer and kennel/cattery owner. Cathouse privacy policy.