[ Home | All Archives ]
previous | most current | next

      Monday, February 10, 2014


craftstuff
01:19 PM - 02/10/2014

The topic: My most recent project

----------------------------------------------

My mother-in-law's birthday was Saturday. I made her a card. I used one of the cards from the Happy Birthday to You kit at SVGCuts.com. One of the things I love about SVG Cuts cards, is they usually come with an envelope. My first couple of cards I made using Silhouette designs didn't have envelopes with them and I had to scramble on how to make my own. 

Mary (SVG Cuts) usually has perforations for the scoring so the folds are straight and easier, but I've found that I prefer actual scoring. I've got a Martha Stewart scoring board, but have a hard time getting the paper situated just right.  Back in the grasshopper days, I bought a Fiskars paper cutter (similar to this one, but no LEDs) with changeable blades (which I felt was a waste of time at that point). Well, doing research, I came across a scoring blade for it. I bought it and used it for the first time with this card and the envelope. Way nicer than the perforations.

Since there are a few different colors that are used (the flowers use three different colors), I just combined all of the different small files onto one sheet, then cut one of each. I had a lot of extra stuff when I was done, but I'm sure I'll be able to find something to do with them in the future.

After cutting out the files, I glittered the letters with Ranger Stickles and on the edges of the flower petals, I used Zig Two Way Glue (big tip) and American Crafts WOW glitter. (Clicking on the images will bring you to a page with a larger image.)

I had already glittered the letters. I used Pop Dots for the letters, to give them a raised look. Somewhat of a packrat, I had some allen wrenches in my tool drawer, those little hexagonal wrenches that come in the boxes of furniture that you put together. One of them fit the foam dots perfectly. Peeling the back of the sheet of dots, I pushed a dot forward then pulled back. For the most part the dots came right back through the sheet and while the dot was still on the wrench, I peeled the round paper off of the "front" of the dot, then placed the dot on the letter. Made placement a lot easier than just using my fingers. 

More gluing and pop dotting....

 

I assembled the flower and put it on using a brad. I tried using my McGill Paper Shaping tool for the petals, but didn't work with it long enough. 

 

The finished card:

I got the sentiment off of a website for crafters. Lots of sentiments. I spent Friday night tossing and turning trying to come up with something. I wish I'd Googled it first. *lol*

Here is the second card I made. Just to have an extra.

I worked on the flower petals longer with the tool and you can see how much more curved they are.

My mother-in-law loved the card, she said "you make all of your cards by hand now?" and I said "I'm trying to". And there won't be any two alike. 


Commenting is not available in this channel entry.
All Archives


lisaviolet is sixty something, married with no kids, takes care of lots of cats, likes taking photographs, loves Southern California weather and spends altogether too much time avoiding her responsibilities.

In her spare time, she makes pretty things to sell in her store.

December 2017
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31            






website design by





©lisaviolet 1996-2017
Photographic images are the property of the photographer,and may not be copied, printed, or otherwise reproduced on any other site or used in any other publishing medium without the written permission of each individual photographer and kennel/cattery owner. Cathouse privacy policy.