But I say that about all of them, don't I? *laughing*
And as usual, clicking on a picture will take you to a bigger photo in my family album; clicking on that picture will open a larger photo. This will give you a better idea of the detail on the card. And there are more photos in the gallery than I have posted here, if you want to see more.
When I was a kid, over fifty years ago (a half of a century, when did this happen? Holy moley!), at Easter, we did the go to church thing (raised Catholic, but on Easter, even my Methodist father, who didn't go to any church, went with us). And the Easter bunny ALWAYS visited, leaving really child friendly items in his wake. One of my favorites was always the huge sugared egg with the diorama inside. Remember those? I got one every year and it was the one piece of candy that I never ate. They eventually fell apart, but I loved looking inside of them. I found a page where you can make them, that's not gonna happen, but check out the examples.
Anyway, when I first saw this as a sneak peak of SVGcuts new kit last year, I jumped on it. The name of the kit is Springtime Box Cards SVG Kit. And for all of that time, I kept thinking about how I could make this really awesome. Because childhood.
So, this year I thought I'd make one and send it to my friends who have expressed a like for dioramas. Even sent me photos of their Christmas diorama that goes up every year and I thought maybe they'd enjoy this one. One of the problems with not having extended family and friends nearby is what do I do with all of the stuff I make? Cards are easily sent, but the bigger projects are spendy for shipping, because they are so fragile and need special packaging to protect them. But cards...everybody likes getting cards in the mail, right?
I picked out the paper, following the PDF that was included. As I usually do, I split some of the designs apart, using different paper than the PDF shows, like the flowered background in the egg and the eggs themselves. I got everything cut out, laid it out on my work table and started thinking about how I was going to do the sugaring. The sugaring was the most important part to me, that was what made this so realistic. At least, it did to me. Did I want to paint the sugar on with Ranger Stickles or emboss the paper? Since the Stickles take a while to dry and sometimes the paper warps from the moisture, I thought I'd try the embossing first.
I had a pile of extra cut outs from previous cards to do my testing. Since the area was pretty big that I wanted to emboss, I just used my Versamark pad to get the paper ready for the embossing powder. Then I used Judikins Iridescent Sparkle embossing powder. I checked out a couple of different colors and I liked this one the best for the sugaring process. (Sugaring process...that makes me laugh.)
Happy with the test piece, I was ready to start the sugaring (snork...sugaring...). I liberally sprinkled the powder over the Versamarked paper. Then I tapped the loose powder off (the powder that isn't used goes back into the container).
Then I hit it with the heat tool. This is the result.
Looks good. Looks really good. I did this to all of the pieces for the first insert. I set those aside and started assembling the card.
The first part was the box itself. In this image, you can see where I've used my Big Shot to emboss the bottom panels with a flowery folder. I thought it would be more obvious in the final product, but it didn't really add to or subtract from the over all card. I don't know if I'd do this again on a patterned paper.
I've mentioned in the past that I like the Beacon 3-in-1 glue. This is why. I can use too much (something I do, not on purpose, mind you, but me and glue...well, we just have this weird relationship thing) and the paper doesn't warp. I hate it when the paper warps because of the glue. Here's a little tip and it's probably going to sound strange, but as the amount of the glue goes down, it gets harder to squeeze out. I found that shoving the glue bottle under my waistband helps to warm it up and it flows more freely (and don't store it upside down, I've lost a couple of bottles of this glue by doing this, somehow the glue leaks out and there's a big dried clump of glue to deal with - and no, I don't store it in my pants - I know that's what some of you were thinking). Yeah, it's strange, but it works for me and isn't that what it's all about?
Flap panels in place.
Back panel assembly - front and back
Front panel - the flowers are inked in the center and the edges. This project had brads keeping the flowers in place. I ended up gluing the petals together since they kept twisting out of shape.
The inserts and panels, one (front piece, the white will be glued on to the yellow piece next to it), two (eggs) and three (bunny). The piece at the far left is the back panel. I've already attached the front panel (the one with the flowers).
Back panel attached.
All inserts inserted, back view.
Because of all the sugaring, the cardstock was pretty heavy on the first insert and it kept flopping over, so I cut out an additional back piece and glued it on to reinforce the insert. You can't see it here. On my next egg card, I'll do that before putting it all together.
And the sentiment on the back. I used foam pieces to make it pop out instead of being flat on the card.
And that's it! That's my Egg card. I love it! And the ladies who received it liked it, too. It was passed on to Mom for her enjoyment.